Interior Minister Confirms Extradition Request
Maputo, 9 Jan (AIM) – Mozambican Interior Minister Arsénia Massingue has confirmed that legal procedures are under way to extradite 50 year old Ismael Malude Ramos Nangy, the alleged Mozambican kidnapping mastermind who was detained on Saturday in neighbouring South Africa.
The minister was speaking on Monday morning in Maputo, on the sidelines of the celebration of the sixth anniversary of the creation of the National Criminal Investigation Service (SERNIC).
According to Massingue, the arrest of Ramos Nangy follows an international arrest warrant issued by the Mozambican authorities.
“The next step, since the individual is still in South Africa, is for our institutions of justice to be formally notified. So far, we have been following the detention through the press”, Massingue said, adding that “after the notification of the institutions of justice, other steps will be followed for his extradition.”
Since it is a complex and sensitive case, the minister said, the authorities cannot provide much detail but, at this time, work is taking place and “in due course it can be revealed.”
The arrest of this individual, according to the South African press, follows a multidisciplinary partnership that includes members of the Trilateral Planning Cell (TPC), a body set up by the Mozambican, South African and Tanzanian Interior Ministries, and the International Criminal Police Organization (Interpol).
The suspect is alleged to have commanded several abductions in Mozambique and South Africa, demanding large sums of money for the release of his victims.
Massingue also said that in 2022, there were 13 known cases of kidnappings, 10 of which were cleared up. 33 people were detained in connection with these crimes.
According to police reports, since 2018 Ramos Nangy has been identified multiple times as the head of a transnational network of kidnappings for ransom.