Nangy Offers To Pay Bail Of 50,000 Rands
Maputo, 27 Jan (AIM) – Esmael Nangy, the man accused of masterminding a series of kidnappings in Mozambique and South Africa, has told the magistrates’ court in Thembisa, just outside Johannesburg, that he is willing to pay bail of 50,000 rands (about 3,000 US dollars).
Nangy was arrested at his luxury home in Centurion, on the outskirts of Pretoria on 7 January, on the basis of a warrant issued by the Mozambican Attorney-General’s Office. He denies any connection with kidnapping and is fighting against extradition to Mozambique.
According to a report in Friday’s issue of the independent newssheet “Carta de Mocambique”, at the hearing on Thursday in the magistrates’ court, Nangy’s lawyer proposed that 50,000 rands would be a reasonable sum for his client’s bail. The court heard details about Nangy’s finances from his lawyer, Calvin Maile, who said his client is a respected business person, operating in both South Africa and Mozambique. He owns companies in the two countries, both called “Trans Nangy”, which operate a large fleet of vehicles.
Through these businesses, said Maile, Nangy earns a wage of between 50,000 and 100,000 rands a month, and so he should have no difficulty in paying bail of 50,000 rands.
Nangy is a Mozambican citizen with permanent resident status in South Africa. “He is well established in South Africa”, said Maile. “His assets are worth seven million rands, and include a house valued at 3.2 million rands”.
Maile said that all the accusations against his client were unfounded. The warrant for his arrest is dated June 2022 – but since then, Maile claimed, he had made various business trips between Mozambique and South Africa, the latest of which was in December.
Nangy says he was never stopped by the authorities on any of these trips, much less arrested.