Maputo, 1 May (AIM) – Mozambique’s National Petroleum Institute (INP) on Friday announced the discovery of natural gas in the Bonito-1 research well, drilled by the South African company Sasol, in Area PT5-C, in Inhassoro district, in the southern province of Inhambane.
This is the second well drilled by Sasol in the PT5-C area. The first well drilled in this area, named Dourado-1, gave negative results. The wells were drilled as part of Sasol’s contractual obligations.
The INP statement said that Sasol will continue work to assess the scale of the new discovery, and its commercial viability. The well was drilled between 25 March and 5 April, and reached a depth of 1,934 metres.
The concession contract for research and production of hydrocarbons in onshore Area PT5-C was signed on 17 October 2018. Sasol holds a participating interest of 70 per cent, and Mozambique’s publicly owned National Hydrocarbons Company (ENH) holds the remaining 30 per cent.
Sasol has been operating in Mozambique since 2004, and operates the Pande and Temane onshore gas fields in Inhambane. It runs the gas processing plant at Temane, from which gas is transported by pipeline to South Africa.
Some of the gas is taken from the pipeline for industrial use in southern Mozambique, including the production of electricity.